The staff are welcoming and friendly; I benefited from the complementary therapy; there was an unexpected level of carer support.
- Hospice patient
This March we're joining with hospices around the country, and the national hospice charity Hospice UK, to put the spotlight on the work we do and the difference it makes as part of the Open Up campaign
The theme of this year’s campaign is hospice care at home, and aims to raise awareness of the support St. Rocco's provides outside of the hospice building and celebrate the home-from-home atmosphere we pride ourselves on at the hospice.
Sadly we know that not everyone who could benefit from our specialised care accesses it – for various reasons. It could be because they believe that a hospice ‘isn’t for them’, maybe because of their age, ethnicity or the disease they are living with.
As an independent local charity – which receives less than a quarter of our funding from the NHS – we rely on the generosity of our local community to help us to continue to care for those who need us and to reach those who don't know how we might be able to help them.
Our vision is that everyone in the Warrington area – regardless of age, gender, sexuality or ethnicity – who is facing a life-shortening illness receives the support they need to be able to have a good quality of life, to the end of life.
That’s why, during March, we’re asking you to get on board and help us ‘open up’ hospice care – making a contribution, however small, towards helping more people in Warrington who need hospice care, get hospice care.
How can I show my support?
St. Rocco's is asking our community to join with us and the wider hospice movement in March and beyond in whatever way works for them.
Some ideas of how you, your community group or workplace could show your support include:
• Cook up a storm by taking part in the #TasteOfHome initiative which encourages people to cook a dish which reminds them of home and then invite family, friends, neighbours or colleagues round to dinner in return for a donation. From grandma’s Lancashire hotpot to dad’s signature spaghetti, whatever you serve up you’ll be showing your support for St Rocco’s with every mouthful!
• Organise a bake sale or coffee morning
• Collect spare change at home – every penny really does make a difference
• Open Up your wardrobe and donate any quality pre-loved goods to the hospice for sale in our charity shops across the area
• Make a donation
• Connect with us on social media @StCatherinesPre and help our messages reach further
• Donate an unwanted gift as a raffle or tombola prize for the hospice
What difference will it make?
Your support of the Open Up campaign will help us care for people in their own homes through our Hospice at Home and Rocco's on Your Doorstep scheme, and provide a home-from-home environment for those staying on our in-patient unit.